10 Reasons to Consider Cycling to Work
Maximizing time is something that most people try to do, and sometimes that includes multitasking. But have you ever thought about multitasking and your morning and evening commute? This option won’t work for everyone, especially if you have a long commute to work. But for those of you that are close to work, start thinking about cycling to work. Here are 10 reasons you should start cycling to work.
- It’s all about the dollar – This mode of transportation will immediately save you money by saving on gas and parking. And in the long-term, since you’re driving your car less you’ll have fewer car repairs.
- Any bike – Feel free to use any bike for your daily commute, there is no need to go out and buy a $2,000 bike unless you just want to.
- It makes sense – Your life is busy with family and work, and sometimes there’s no time to exercise before or after work. A 5-mile commute on your bike will burn 500 calories.
- Miss traffic – Everyone hates traffic, but since you’ll be on the sidewalk you’ll miss all of it.
- Bike Lane – If you’re not a fan of cycling on the sidewalk, many states have started to create bike lanes for people just like you.
- Be kind to the environment – Cycling doesn’t expel over a pound of CO2 like cars do for every mile you drive.
- Spread the love – Be a positive influence on your co-workers and other people that see you cycling; they may want to try it now that they see you doing it to.
- Work can help – In 2009 employers started offering bicycle reimbursement for employees up to $20 a month. Inquire with your HR department to find out the details.
- Join the crowd – As of 2009, there were over 4 billion trips made by bicycle so don’t feel like you’ll be an outlier.
- You’ll love it – You get to kill two birds with one stone, working out and getting to your essential places; what’s better than that.
READ MORE: Running, Easy as 1, 2, 3
This article covers the exercise pillar of the Living Happier @Work program.