20 Simple Acts of Kindness for Work
Showing kindness to people is a great way to increase teamwork on the job. Being friendly, generous and considerate to colleagues really isn’t that difficult. And if you can only accomplish two of the three, let the generous go. Trust and believe that being friendly and considerate to the people you work with will improve the work environment. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?
Even more interesting is the way kindness affects people. Research shows that the person receiving the kindness is impacted as well the person being kind. But also, anyone who witnesses the act of kindness is also affected.
To give you some ideas to start practicing more random acts of kindness into your work day, listed below are ideas for one month of work days.
- Help someone before they ask.
- Give a thank you card to a coworker for something they did to help you.
- Commend a colleague to their boss via email.
- Buy coffee for a colleague.
- Hold the elevator door for someone.
- Give a genuine compliment to a co-worker.
- Start a meeting with a positive statement about achieving a successful outcome/solution.
- Ask about something important to a coworker and then really listen to their response.
- Appreciate your boss by thanking them for something.
- Say good morning to the security staff, cleaning people or other support staff who work in your building. Speak to them using their name, if you know it. (If you don’t, ask them.)
- Congratulate someone on an achievement.
- Smile at someone when you walk by.
- Ask a colleague about their family, pet, hobby (or something they care about outside work).
- Remember a coworker’s birthday.
- Stop looking at your phone when people are speaking.
- Speak kindly for an entire workday – don’t say anything negative all day.
- Let someone in front of you in line.
- Hold the door open for someone coming behind you.
- Tell the office manager or administrative assistant how much their efforts are appreciated. Name something specific.
- Purchase a small treat for yourself to show some kindness to you, too!
Being kind to others on the job improves workplace happiness. This is something that everyone can do. In most cases being kind costs us nothing and requires very little effort, but it pays big dividends. Increase teamwork and thereby productivity in your office or workplace by showing more kindness.
Do you have other ideas for showing kindness at work? Let me know in the comments.
READ MORE: These 3 Tasks May Help You Love Your Job