10 Easy Exercises to Do at Your Desk
The news about the dangers of being sedentary throughout the day are somewhat alarming. Sitting is the new smoking, they say. Even if you work out 30 minutes daily, it doesn’t reduce the risk of sitting in a chair at a desk for 8+ hours each day.
The only way to reduce your risk is to sit less and move more every day. Even if the movement is simply to stand a few more minutes every day. OK, that’s one suggestion. Now here are 10 more exercise ideas to help you get a little workout at the job.
1. Take the stairs up to the office whenever you can.
2. Take a walk around your floor every hour or so. (If you can’t walk the floor, how about the lobby? Or maybe you can grab your coat and walk once around the building for some fresh air.)
3. Wall sit. Stand with your back against the wall. Then lower yourself and push your knees out like you’re sitting in an imaginary chair. Hold for at least 30 seconds. (If that’s easy, bend one leg, ankle to knee and hold.)
4. Hold the yoga Prayer Pose while seated in your chair. Push your palms together and exercise your arms.
5. Stand at your desk. (Especially nice when you’re listening to a conference call.)
6. If that is too easy, do squats while standing at your desk.
7. Hamstring curls. Stand behind your desk chair. Use one hand to hold the chair. Lift one leg at a time and try to push your heel toward your bottom.
8. Do alternate leg raises while waiting for a document to print.
9. Glute squeezes while sitting in your chair. This one is easy – squeeze your butt. Hold for a least 15 seconds. Repeat.
10. Do the desk chair swivel and work your abs. Swivel your butt to the left and your chest to the right. Work those obliques. Now twist in the opposite direction.
Whether you work in a corporation sitting at a desk or from home on at your own business, or something in between, the less time you spend sitting on your bottom everyday, the happier and healthier you will be. [LINK] Keeping your body moving is good for your body and your brain, so these things can also help you be more successful at the job.
Do you have other ideas for ways to add a little exercise while at the job?
READ MORE: 10 Reasons to Consider Cycling to Work